Having only just launched in beta to a limited number of people a couple of weeks ago, the first release of the app for the general public has launched today.
BBM for Windows Phone marks the first release in which BlackBerry have designed the app ensuring the aesthetics match the OS’ style, as opposed to how BBM looks like on iOS and Android (much like BB10’s BBM). Users are able to download BBM for Windows Phone starting today. Features include the standard chat messaging including group chats. Voice calls, the BBM Shop and Channels are not available in this particular release, but will be in the future.
Read the press release:
BBM Now Available for Windows Phone Users
WATERLOO, ONTARIO–(Marketwired – July 31, 2014) – BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a global leader in mobile communications, today announced a collaboration with Microsoft to bring BBM™ to Windows Phone 8 and higher.
“We are intent on bringing the most popular application experiences to Windows Phone, and with BBM, we are pleased to bring many of its top features to the Windows Phone platform,” said Bryan Biniak, Vice President and General Manager, Developer Experience, Microsoft. “BBM on Windows Phone brings our customers the secure, easy-to-use messaging experience they demand, and we expect that new features will roll out in the months to come.”
“As the popularity of BBM continues to grow, we are thrilled to have the opportunity to expand its availability to the Windows Phone community,” said John Sims, President Global Enterprise Services at BlackBerry. “The BBM app for Windows Phone shows our commitment to supporting cross-platform capabilities, and we are excited to be working with Microsoft to deliver a new level of collaboration to the Windows Phone platform.”
The BBM app for Windows Phone builds on the collaboration, privacy and security features that are at the core of the BBM experience loved by more than 85 million monthly active users around the world. Built specifically for the Windows Phone experience, BBM users will have a familiar, native user experience that embraces the clean, modern design of the Windows Phone UI.
Starting today, Windows Phone 8 users can download BBM and gain access to renowned features, including:
- BBM Chats: The Chats page is your single destination for all your chats, including groups, multi-person and one-to-one. In a chat, you have lots of ways to share. You can attach a picture from your camera, add a voice note, send a contact, share a photo from your gallery or send your location. Chats also include BBM signature “D” and “R” notifications that allow users to know when messages are delivered and read.
- BBM Groups: With BBM Groups, up to 50 people can be added to the conversation. Chat, share photos and schedules with even more friends.
- Find Friends: Discover people you know that are also using BBM and invite them to your BBM contact list, from within the app. With the ability to easily share your PIN with your friends and family, connecting is easier than ever.
- BBM Feeds: Feeds lets you see what’s happening with your BBM contacts. Here you will see when contacts update their status or profile photo. If you want to chat about one of their updates, just touch on their name and you’ll be taken to a chat. Here you can also quickly update your own status to share what you’re up to or what’s on your mind.
- ‘Pin’ to Start: Pin BBM Groups and 1:1 chats to the Start screen for easy access to your most important chats
Additional features for BBM on Windows Phone will continue to be added in future releases.
Download BBM for Windows Phone