The Mint Mobile start kit includes a card, that holds a SIM card. A SIM card is subscriber identity model. This means that it can be used to store a (phone) number and assign it to that card. The SIM cards connect the phone to their chosen network.
Each SIM card is unique and with it, allows you to make calls and text. Contacts and texts can be stored on the SIM card, but with newer phones these are simply stored on the device’s memory.
You can switch your SIM card to a new phone and keep the same number. The SIM card has the phone number attached to it, so as long as the SIM card is compatible with another phone, you can use it with your phone number.
There are three different sizes of SIM cards:
- Standard SIM card: (15 x 25mm)
- Phones that take standard SIMS are HTC desire, Apple 3Gs, BlackBerry Curve, Samsung Galaxy Ace 1 and 2, and more.
- Micro SIM card: (12 x 15mm)
- Some phones that take micro SIM cards include Samsung Galaxy J3 (all models), Samsung Galaxy Core Prime, Samsung Galaxy Express Prime 1 and 2, Samsung Galaxy J7, iPhone 4 and 4S.
- Nano SIM card: (8.8 x 12.3mm)
- Some phone that use a Nano SIM card are most of the newer phones such as iPhone 6 – 8+, iPhone X, XR, XS, XS Max, and all models of iPhone 11. Samsung Galaxy S7 – S10, Samsung Galaxy J3 (all models), and more.
The Mint Mobile starter kit comes with a SIM card that can be changed to each of the three sizes so it will be sure to fit your phone. You can look at your current SIM card size to see which size you need, or simply search for what size SIM card your phone takes.
When you get your kit and you are activating it, you can enter your zip code then determine whether or not you would like to keep your own number. You can opt for a new number given to you by Mint Mobile or stick with the one you already have.
If you choose to keep the same number, you’ll need information from your current service provider so they can transfer the old number to the new phone.
In order to put your new sim card in your phone, determine where the SIM card goes in on the phone you have now. It may be a small, thin slot with an even smaller hole. You can use a paper clip, or SIM card ejector, to remove your current SIM card. Check the sizes of the SIM card and make sure it matches.
You can now use your Mint Mobile SIM card for any compatible phone.